Communication Skills Therapy
Communication Skills Therapy in Buffalo, NY
You know the cliche: communication is key. Never underestimate the power of healthy communication skills. Good communication is essential to building and maintaining strong, positive relationships with our loved ones. However, with such busy, stressful lives, many of us forget to think deeply about how we communicate. If you struggle to speak to those closest to you, communications skills therapy can help.
Do I Need Communication Skills Counseling?
Let’s do a quick quiz — don’t stress, it won’t be graded. Have you ever:
- Said “what” or “can you repeat that?” so many times without understanding that you eventually just nod that you do?
- Zoned out during an important conversation?
- Become so focused on planning your next response that you miss what your partner is saying?
- Upset a family member or friend without intending to?
- Walked away from a conflict-resolution conversation more confused than you entered it?
- Tried to express yourself but failed to make your point clear?
Don’t worry if you started to sweat a little taking that quiz. Most people habitually do at least half of these (if not more). We communicate with others every day, so why is it so hard
Well, because people are inherently self-focused. That doesn’t make us narcissists; it just makes us human. Great communicators usually have worked hard on the skill. Without practice and guidelines, it can be difficult to be an effective communicator. If you need a little help optimizing your communication skills, the therapists at Harris Hill Counseling & Coaching are here to teach and support you.
How Will Communication Skills Counseling Improve My Life?
Not a day goes by without you having to communicate. Some communications may be small, like, “What do you want for dinner?” Others may be significant, such as, “How do we address the problems in our marriage?” However, no matter how trivial or serious, all conversations require communication skills.
The benefits of improving your communication skills include:
- Your Empathy Will Increase
- You Will Experience Less Tension in Relationships
- You Will Have More Free Time
Poor communication skills leave problems unsolved –– creating a mess you’ll have to clean up. Strong communication eliminates issues before they start, giving you more spare time.