Depression Counseling in Buffalo, NY
Depression is a common mood disorder characterized by constant feelings of hopelessness. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is just one variant of depression but is one of the most common mental health disorders among adults worldwide. If you or someone in your life is suffering from depression, choosing the right therapist can make all the difference.
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), also known as clinical depression, is more than just a blue mood. People with depression experience a range of emotional and physical problems that have an adverse affect on their day-to-day routines. MDD causes people to lose interest in activities that once brought them joy. If an event didn’t trigger the episode, people might feel their depression is unwarranted. Depressive spells can become bad enough that people begin to see their lives as so unfulfilled and worthless that they contemplate suicide.
Unlike an everyday lousy mood, you can’t just “snap” out of a depressive spell. While you may hear that depression is a life-long affliction, know that there is hope. Depression is extremely treatable and millions of MDD patients everywhere are able to live happy and productive lives after enrolling in depression counseling.
Symptoms of Depression
Although some only experience a depressive episode once in their life, the condition is typically chronic. Most people have multiple depressive spells throughout their lifetime. When depressed, symptoms are persistent, seeping into every hour of the day.
For those living with MDD, symptoms can become so severe that they cause noticeable problems in work, school, social activities, and close relationships.
They may include:
- Feelings of emptiness, and unyielding sadness
- Outbursts of anger, irritability, or frustration, often triggered by small matters
- Loss of interest or joy in most or all pleasurable activities, such as sex, hobbies, or exercise
- Sleep issues, including insomnia or sleeping too much
- Lack of energy
- Reduced appetite and weight loss, or engaging in emotional eating and weight gain
- Slowed thinking, speaking, or body movements
- Perseverating on the past
- Suicidal ideation, attempts, or fixation on what the world would be like if you died
- Unexplained physical problems, such as headaches and random pain
Work With a Depression Therapist in Western New York
If your depression seems impossible and is bleeding into every aspect of your life, Harris Hill Counseling can help. Our therapists provide personalized depression counseling in a warm, professional, and supportive environment. Contact Harris Hill Counseling now, and take the first step to treating your depression.